Do you know the best way to maintain your home’s gutters? Regular roof maintenance and inspections!
Gutters are an important part of your roofing system. Designed to protect your home from serious water damage, keeping them clean and in good working order is often put on the back burner or altogether forgotten. Don’t be lulled into thinking everything’s fine just because there’s still rain water running from them or they don’t appear to be clogged.
Potential Gutter Disasters
The best-case scenario with neglected gutters is that they rust or fall apart, and you simply replace them. Unfortunately, what usually happens is far more serious. Here are just five consequences you might have to deal with:
- Leaky roof. If the gutters cannot move water away from your home, it starts to accumulate on the roof, causing damage like mold and rot. As the damage spreads, you could end up with severe structural damage to the attic and supports.
- Damaged foundation. The predominant foundation in the Las Vegas area is a slab, but there are some homes with treated wood foundations. Either way, if the gutters are not functioning correctly, the foundation of your home is at risk of water saturation. Wood rots and concrete will crack. On top of that, you’ll end up with mold.
- Creepy crawler infestation. If there’s water, there’s bugs. And they love your wet and moisture-filled gutters. Carpenter ants, mosquitoes, and roaches are just a few that are likely to take up residence in your gutters and, eventually, your home.
- Driveway & sidewalk damage. If the drain spouts aren’t directing water in the right direction, the excess that pools on these surfaces can cause sagging and cracks.
- Exterior wood rot.The fascia boards your gutter system attaches to are often made of wood. If debris builds up, the backed-up water can cause them to deteriorate pretty quickly. The same is true for wood siding.
Roof Maintenance Includes the Gutters
No two ways about it, gutters require yearly maintenance. And just as you inspect your roof, especially after storms, you should check your gutters, too. Be sure to regularly clean out debris; if you don’t want to do the job yourself, First Quality Roofing & Insulation can help.
Is your roof due for an inspection or maintenance? Contact us today at 702-262-7847. Our team of qualified experts will thoroughly examine your roof and gutters for signs of damage and will inform you of any necessary roof repairs or gutter replacements.