When Allstate Insurance asked people to rank the importance of their personal items, their homes won the top spot. We thought it would be fun to dig a little deeper to see just how Americans spend their time and money. Some of what we found was a revelation.
How Americans Spend Their Time
It’s pretty amazing what the average person does with their time.
- Women spend almost 140 days of their lives “getting ready.” That includes taking a shower, applying makeup and dressing up. Men spend only 46 days doing the same.
- Keeping your clothes clean and bright? That eats up about 3 years of life.
- Millennials win the clean house competition. Nearly 90% of them reported cleaning their home once a week. Compare that to 72% of Baby Boomers.
Across the board, Americans admit they spend too much time on their smartphones and tablets. Mobile devices are consistently used by over a third of those who responded, and it jumps to almost 60% when narrowed down to Millennials.
How Americans Spend Their Money
When you add up goods, services and taxes, people report spending about 90% of everything they earn. Where does it all go?
- Housing is typically the biggest expense. Mortgages, rent, property taxes, maintenance, utilities, and insurance represent the biggest outlay.
- After home-related expenses, food is the #1 expenditure with about half of the total spent going to meals at home and the other half on food away from home.
- Here’s a surprise: men spend more per month on clothing than women do! In fact, only 38% of men spend less than $50 per month on clothing. That’s compared to 55% percent of the more frugal women.
Two Ways to Protect Your Biggest Investment
If you, like most Americans, cherish the home you live in, there are proactive steps you can take to ensure its safety.
- Schedule a roof inspection to check for any damage and perform any needed roof repairs.
- Install additional insulation to ensure the proper temperature is maintained for a healthier environment.
At First Quality Roofing & Insulation, we’re committed to providing homeowners with the highest-quality, eco-friendliest insulation and roofing services. Contact us at 702-262-7847 to schedule an on-site evaluation today!