A roof is just a roof, right? Wrong!
Between different shapes, slants, slopes, and substances, the world of roof materials is a vast place where you can easily get lost. Normally, there are one or two materials that are better for your particular roof than any other option. That's all well and good, but without a great guide, you may find yourself in a sea of confusing construction.
Fear not! Our team at First Quality Roofing & Insulation will help you understand which roof materials may be best for you.
Asphalt shingles are among the most popular roof materials because they're fairly durable and relatively inexpensive. They typically last around 20 years, but the extreme sunlight and heat we experience in Las Vegas can reduce these shingles' lifespans.
- Available in a wide variety of colors and styles
- Easy to install
- Suitable for a wide range of temperatures
- Provide reliable weatherproofing
- May not last as long as heavier tiles
- Dark shades can be prone to fading and color inconsistencies
Slate tiles are roof materials often seen on luxury homes. This natural stone product is stunning, which is why it's often on the top of the list for people who own luxury homes.
- Available in a variety of sizes, thicknesses, and colors
- Can reasonably last 150 years if the roof is well-constructed and properly maintained
- Offers natural fire resistance
- Typically quite expensive up front (however, the product's longevity usually offsets the initial costs over time)
- Installation can be difficult and requires very experienced roofing professionals
- Tiles are fragile and need to be handled with care, even after the roof is in place
- Weight is substantial and usually requires homeowners to ensure their homes' structures are sound enough to carry the additional poundage
These tiles tend to give homes character and can be well-suited for many houses in the Las Vegas area, given they're ideal for areas that aren't susceptible to fluctuating weather changes. Before ceramic makes the list of your top roof materials, however, it's best to consult a roofing pro to ensure your home is situated in ideal conditions for ceramic tiles.
- Last 50 to 70 years
- Generally, pretty durable
- Can be fragile, particularly in high winds or when walked on
Homeowners are increasingly opting for metal roofs.
- Low maintenance
- Reasonably environmentally friendly
- Cost-effective upkeep (repainting is cheaper than replacing)
- Tricky installation that requires seasoned professionals
These renewable resources are eco-friendly and becoming increasingly popular.
- Minimal impact on the quality of water runoff
- Useful for around 30 years
- May be restricted by insurance regulations
Still not sure which roof materials you should choose? Set the guesswork aside, and contact First Quality Roofing & Insulation at 702-262-7847. We’re here to help!